Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bay Ridge Vikings...

from Lost City:
What with the annual Norwegian Day Parade due to take place in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, this Sunday, May 20, I thought I would point out that there are still a few remaining signposts of the neighborhood's once mighty Norwegian-born population, beginning with large, peaceful park named after Viking explorer Lief Ericson.
Funny my father grew up Bay Ridge, back in the 50s this was diversity: He lived in the WASP part and the 'immigrants' were mostly Norwegian Dane and German with a smattering of Irish. He remembers the German kids drank beer (to the approval of their parents) but were not given to drunkenness, while the Irish, most decidedly were....so I guess some cliches are true (that was certainly my impression after visiting Ireland)

My grandmother lived there until she had to go to a nursing home.

No comments: