Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Good Manners - No Longer Geneitically Possible?

I came across this post at the happiness project - about practicing good manners..

Instead of sitting at our grubby kitchen table, we pulled out the placemats, set the table, rolled the high chair into the dining room, and I even lit a candle. The fact that the Little Girl kept throwing her spaghetti on the floor diminished the elegance somewhat, but it was nice to eat properly.

We’ve dubbed it “Polite Night” and decided to make it a weekly tradition. (Really, every night should be "Polite Night," but we decided to be realistic.)
Fair enough - more effort than 99% of parents are making and she makes the poiniant observation that behavior beings at the home....
But as I commented - I am curious why its 'unrealistic'...what has happened to our society to make it so? My father says that my grandfather - who ran his own company - would come home, shave (this was before double edged razors) put on a jacket and come down for dinner.
Was has so radically altered about human DNA that this is no longer 'realistic'.?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that many people stay in relationships without love, so without love nothing really matters.
That family use to be the refuge now many kids grow in a house but not in a home.
That video games,and clothes and cars and cell phones are the compensation many people find for the caring and tender moment to share with each other.
"too busy" to have a nice conversation, "too busy" to take real responsability for what love and family and sharing really means.
May be my point sounds like from another era, may be,but I rised up my child with this principles and God I am proud for the results.