Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Knickerblogger Advent, Day 4.



One of the true joys of the Christmas Season, the Met museum's Creche.



Like dance and certain types of live music - and I might add, paintings - this really has to be experienced in person - the scale, and magic of the whole scene can't be conveyed through photographs. Sometimes its interesting to just watch the expression on people's faces when they see it.

It goes in a circle around a large tree decorated with 16-18th century angel ornaments - I remember that the tree in my home as a child had a similar angel which my great uncle had looted brought back from Germany after WWI.

The best way I can describe this creche without seeing it in person is it has the color and composition richness of a Italian barque painting but is in 3d. I never tire of seeing it.

No comments: